birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 9 May 2011 01:30:44 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 8 May 2011.

Sun 8 May South Island Pied Oystercatcher Point Halloran
Just received a call from Paul Walbridge advising that there was a SIPO at Point Halloran this morning. Brian Russell found it two weeks ago but wasn't then entirely confident of the ID. They now have numerous photos. It was with 80 OZPO's of NSW and SE Qld origin. Apparently the waders assemble there on a rising tide but then move on if the tide height is greater than 1.8 m as it was this morning
Paul Walbridge per Mike Carter

Sat 7 May Australian Painted Snipe North of Wanganella area, Deniliquin district
Eight to ten Australian Painted Snipe spotlighted not far from where adults were seen on 26 February this year. In this latest sighting there were at least three juveniles present, with at least one of those still with down on its head.
Philip Maher

Swift Parrot & Litte Lorikeets Murray St Bateau Bay
Amongst the Rainbow and Musk Lorikeets feeding in the flowering Blackbutts around my house this morning were 4 Swift Parrots and 16 Little Lorikeets. The latter did not stay but circled around the trees and then moved off. As I have only just returned from 6 days away i am yet to disccver whether there are other parts of Bateau Bay where Swifties are present. Note that "Hunting Birding" also reports Swift Parrots at Poppet Park, Kitchener, near Cessnock
Alan Morris

Yellow-billed Spoonbill Waterbird Refuge, Bicentennial Park, Sydney
The first time in 10 years that I have seen a Yellow-billed Spoonbill at Sydney Olympic Park. It was feeding in the Waterbird Refuge at Bicentennial Park this afternoon before flying across to Powell's Creek at Rhodes. Quite unusual for the Inner Sydney region!
Jon Irvine

Noisy Pitta Royal National Park
Dropped in for a look at Wattle Forest around midday, and flushed a noisy pitta just before the little creek which crosses over the southern end of the forest. Good views of it perched for 10mins in the dappled sunlight. Magnificent in all its colouration.
Bruce Roubin

Fri 6 May Pacific Baza, Rose Robin, Azure Kigfisher Noorumba Reserve, Rosemeadow
In a couple of hours birding at this small bushland reserve 51 species were seen. Other species of note include White-throated Treecreeper, Varied Sitella, Striated Thornbill, Little Lorikeet and Common Bronzewing. Worth a visit if your out Campbelltown way.
Martin Filipczyk

Pheasant Coucal Maria River Rd, Port Macquarie
1 bird flushed from swamp edge.
Clive Meadows

Little Lorikeet East Killara
Two Little Lorikeet flew over my house at 37 Barrie street this morning headed into Garigal Np. First time I have seen this species here.
Kurtis Lindsay

Great Crested Grebe, Yellow-billed Spoonbill and Royal Spoonbil Pitt Town Lagoon
One immature Great Crested Grebe seen near the observation area. No adults were located. The grebe was feeding with some of the Australian Grebes at the lagoon. A single Hoary-headed Grebe was also on the lagoon hanging around the other Grebes. Also seen was a Yellow-billed Spoonbil flying away from the lagoon. A royal Spoonbill was feeding along the edge of the lagoon near the golf course.
Max de Beer

Thu 5 May Square-tailed Kite Richmond
Male and Female hunting over the town most of the morning.
keth brandwood

Olive-backed Oriole Township of Bundeena (on edge of Royal National Park) NSW
Heard an Olive-backed Oriole calling this morning. It called three to four times. A late migrant heading north??
Deryk Engel

Magpie Goose Wanganella wetlands, Deniliquin district
Seven Magpie Geese at the Wanganella wetlands; the largest flock I have seen in this part of the Riverina.
Philip Maher

Wed 4 May Ground Cuckoo-shrike, Barn Owl, Hooded Robin, Crested Grebe Lake Cargelligo area
A flock of 8 Ground Cuckoo Shrikes seen east of the town on 3/5, Barn Owl seen at edge of town, Little Grassbirds, Australian Shelduck, Hobby and Red-kneed Dotterels at the STW, many Crested Grebes on the Lake itself and at nearby Kelvin SF Hooded Robin, Red-capped Robin, Southern Whiteface, and one Superb Parrot near Naradhan.
Alan Morris & Steven Edwards

Spotted Harrier, Red-chested Button-quail, Budgerigar Chat Alley, 23 km NW of Lake Cargelligo
Highlights of about an hour spent in and around Chat Alley at 8.00 am found 4 Brown Songlarks, 4 Spotted Harriers, 8 Singing Bushlarks, 2 Budgerigars, 40+ Zebra Finch, White-winged Fairy-wrens, a family of Black-shouldered Kites, Brown Falcons, Kestrel, 2 Stubble Quail and some White-fronted Chats.
Alan morris & Steven Edwards

Little black cormorant, crested tern Rodd Park
A flock of Little black cormorants 30+ (hard to count), were in a feeding frenzy on the waters edge at Rodd Park, catching small fish. There were also about 25 Silver gulls and 3 Crested terns hovering & diving for the fish. I followed the activity along Henley Marine Drive for about 1 1/2 km (20 mins) then they all flew off across the bay. I continued the Bay Run walk and 43 Little black cormorants were still sunning themselves on the rubbish trap pipe on the corner of Timbrell Dr & Dobroyd Pde at Iron Cove Creek when I got there.There was also a juvenile Figbird near Drummoyne Pool.
Judy Clark

Powerful Owl Bellawongarah/Bundewallah
Powerful Owl heard calling for some time at eastern side of property not far from escarpment in the rainforest. First heard at 7:20pm. This is the third record for this property since October 2009.
Carla Jackett

Swift Parrot, Scally-breasted Lorikeet Meadowbank, Sydney - TAFE grounds
Swift parrots visited the Meadobank TAFE grounds again this "swftie season". The mahagony gums and ironbark gums are in full bloom. I was observing a big fock of different lorikeets (mostly rainbows and musks) feeding on the flowering gums. I also found 4 swift parrots and seven scally-breasted lorikeet among them. The swift parrots were visiting this site regularly during last 4 years.
Ted Wnorowski

Barn Owl Bundanoon
One bird heard close to home at 4am. Another new species for my ever-expanding Bundanoon list.
Lorne Johnson

Tue 3 May Swift Parrot & Varied Sitellas Mangrove Mountain near Gosford
3 Swift Parrots were seeing flying over Ironbark Rd Mangrove Mountain, and nearby at Tathra Taila HSD, Mangrove Mountain were 9 Varied Sitellas in the one group
Kaye Pointer per Alan Morris

White-headed Pigeon, Peregrine Falcon Ourimbah, F3 freeway
One White-headed pigeon few over the F3 freeway and landed on the wire near Ourimbah picnic site. One Peregrine Falcon observed catching rock dove from under the F3 bridge (few km north of Ourimbah offramp). It caught the bird and landing on the median barrier in the middle of the very busy road. It was eating the prey completely oblivious of the cars driving with 110km speed
Ted Wnorowski

Beach Stone-curlew Manning Entrance State Park
Family group of 3 Beach Stone-curlew resting inside the roped off area for the Little Tern colony at Mudbishops Point this morning. There are still 25-30 LT's there as well, and 57 Double-banded Plovers have returned.
Alan Stuart

Noisy Pitta Saltwater NP
An adult Noisy Pitta at Satwater NP (near Old Bar) this morning.
Alan Stuart

Mon 2 May Bush Stone-Curlew Dunbar Park, Avalon
One heard calling in the early morning, 5:30-ish. These birds are resident in the Careel Bay, but i have never heard of them in Avalon.
Henry Coleman

Barking Owl Bulahdelah
One seen (and heard) at 1:00 am perching on the road sign in the picnic site 5km north of Bulahdelah.
Ted Wnorowski

Rose Robin Castlereagh NR
Found in the same area as I found a pair last year, at around the same time - couldn't locate a female this time round though. Other birds as per Tom Wilson reported last week.
Troy Mutton

Jacana, Forest Kingfisher Cattai Wetlands (Coopernoock)
There were 7 Jacanas at Cattai Wetlands today and also the Forest Kingfisher was still present there.
Alan Stuart

Little Eagle Crowdy Head
Much to my surprise, a Little Eagle flew right over the top of me at Crowdy Head this afternoon while I was scanning the bay for gulls & terns.
Alan Stuart

Sun 1 May Brown Goshawk Cup & Saucer Creek, Cooks River, Canterbury
1 Brown Goshawk harassing Noisy Miners, and then disturbing Sulphur-crested Cockatoo's near Cup & Saucer Creek wetlands, Canterbury - first one I've seen in the area.
Troy Mutton

Thu 28 Apr Emerald Dove Faulconbridge, Blue Mountains
1 bird seen in Chapman Pde by Danny and three of his staff. The species is very rare in the Blue Mountains.
Danny Wotherspoon (reported by C. Probets)

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.