birding-aus

non tickable sightings

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: non tickable sightings
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 07:39:09 +1000
If I see a bird and I definitely know what it is, then it is in the books.

On 07/05/2011, at 11:21 PM, robert morris wrote:

In the twitching scene in the UK it means this: you have positively identified a bird - perhaps by call or a distinctive feature but the bird is flying over high up or you see it for a split second. You know what you've seen but for a new bird (a lifer) - most people tend to want to 'grill' the bird i.e. watch it for 1/2 an hour in the bins or scope and see every feature. I for example only tick views of button-quail I see sitting on the ground - watching them in my bins. Looking at thier feather detail, see the glint in their eye. I have managed to see little, red- chested, red-backed, painted and black-breasted in this way - but have only had flight views (which I consider 'untickable') of Chestnut-backed (flying away over tall dry grass in Kakadu!). So this is not on my list; and don't even mention Buff-breasted!
Rob Morris