birding-aus

The Lesser Sooty Owl and Sooty Owl?

To: Tony Russel <>
Subject: The Lesser Sooty Owl and Sooty Owl?
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 11:48:04 +1000
Do you all have Adelaide and Yellow Rosellas on your list as separate
species too?  They are pretty distinct from the Crimson Rosellas we have
locally but are the same species taxonomically also (for now at least, I
think there's a paper in the works on this).  Personally I'll leave taxonomy
to the professionals.  If you have complaints, please publish a peer
reviewed journal article to rectify the taxonomic disparity rather than
complaining about others who have done good science.  Not saying you are
wrong about the Sooty Owl complex, but C&B is based on the best available
science at the time of writing, if you want it overturned, fix the science,
otherwise accept the umpire's decision and move on.

Regards,
Chris