birding-aus

The Lesser Sooty Owl and Sooty Owl?

Subject: The Lesser Sooty Owl and Sooty Owl?
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 09:11:11 +1000
Hi All,
After reading Sean Dooley's reply to Paul, I have been trying to figure out
what happened with the Christidis and Boles list with regards to the Lesser
Sooty Owl. In the guide books they are a different size and live in
different parts of the country, so why is the Lesser Sooty Owl no longer
counted as a separate species? Does this mean that if I am lucky enough to
see the owl formally known as the Lesser Sooty Owl on the Atherton
Tableland  that I will be seeing the Sooty Owl? Can someone please explain
this to me or at least if it makes no sense to others then, what is the
official explanation? And I have been trying to figure out the conspecific
term. C & D still have some species as separate (tickable) but as
conspecific. Are they saying that as with the Western Wattlebird and Little
Wattlebird that at some stage millions of years ago they were one species?
Thanks,
Patrick Scully