birding-aus

Swan's lake returned ....

To: "Wendy" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Swan's lake returned ....
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:40:30 +1000

Wendy

I used to walk past Coburg Lake on my way to and from school and I spent
countless hours playing and exploring around the lake and Merri Creek in
the 1950s and 60s, then walking my dog there in the 70s.  I don't remember
seeing Black Swans or Hardhead; just Mallards, Muscovy ducks and Pacific
Black Ducks (often upstream from the lake).  White-faced Herons and
cormorants were there fairly regularly.

Still, it's fantastic that the Council has taken action to remove the geese
and domestic ducks - 147 geese is a huge number for a relatively small area
of water!

Let's hope it becomes a more suitable habitat for native species.

David