birding-aus

NT opens the door to recreational access on pastoral land

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: NT opens the door to recreational access on pastoral land
From: Paul Jacobson <>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:19:54 +1000
Hi Carl,

Anyone interested in the public access issue should at least take a look at the
following summary which is on the site linked from Chris' blog.

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/natres/natveg/legislationreview/pdf/pla_summary.pdf

It appears what is being discussed is access routes _across_ leaseholds rather
than unrestricted access to leasehold land.

"Public access

The current provisions of the Act relating to access across pastoral land
whereby the Board declares a route for public access across pastoral land have
proven to be unworkable. Landholders were unwilling to grant access due to
issues such as road maintenance, property security and public liability.

The proposed amendments provide a legislative mechanism for the Minister for
Natural Resources, Environment and Heritage to negotiate public access across
pastoral land and to declare an access route if necessary. The amendments
provide public liability cover, provisions for closure of access (due to
mustering activities, seasonal conditions and road conditions), construction of
adequate roads and associated access infrastructure and limitations of visitor
numbers.

The most significant change to the proposed amendment is that government will
assume public liability. It is not intended that the access provisions will
allow unfettered public access; the rights of the pastoralist to operate a
pastoral enterprise and to protect their financial investment will be
recognised. Agreements will be formal and recorded on title."

cheers
Paul