birding-aus

FW: Vanellus miles

To: <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: FW: Vanellus miles
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 00:42:52 +1100
G'day John

I can confirm that in Cairns we get both races, although the southern race
novaehollandiae occurs here rather rarely, compared to the abundant race miles.

There are many more individuals seen here displaying traits of both races, than
typical pure novaehollandiae, but the odd pure bird does occur rarely. The
'mixed' birds seen here are intermediate in size, have intermediate (yet
varying) amounts of black extending down the neck, & have intermediate wattle
shape/size. These mixed birds are very uncommon when compared to the abundant
pure miles.

I haven't yet witnessed here any breeding between pure individuals of each
race, but we sometimes see one member of a breeding pair being a mixed bird,
with the other being a pure miles.  Also, I have had no observations here of
pure novaehollandiae displaying any breeding activity.

I think it would be fair to say that Cairns would be within the zone of
intergradation of these 2 races. Due here to the scarcity of pure
novaehollandiae  & the abundance of pure miles, along with uncommon occurance
of mixed birds, you would imagine that we are close to the extreme of the
intergradation zone. Perhaps the pure southern birds may only be present here
as rare visitors, but there are certainly small numbers of resident mixed birds
breeding here with resident pure miles.

Cheers

Martin Cachard
Cairns