birding-aus

Hawks in Australia

To: Dave Torr <>
Subject: Hawks in Australia
From: Kevin and Lizzie <>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:06:16 +1030
But...in  a non-technical sense, the word Hawk can be used much more
broadly, eg the Shorter OED suggests it can cover all diurnal raptors
(as well as offering a more detailed definition, but still broader than just
*accipitrinae*). And there are lots of species outside *acciptrinae *with
hawk in their English name: Bat Hawk is one which springs to mind, and in
North America plenty of *buteos.*

**Kevin Stracey
North Adelaide