birding-aus

Birds at Newhaven

To: <>
Subject: Birds at Newhaven
From: "Richard Jordan" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:33:03 +1100
Hello everyone,

I have just returned from my annual 2-week stint of bird surveying with a group
of 10 volunteers at Newhaven Wildlife Sanctuary (a vast property owned by
Australian Wildlife Conservancy 350km NW of Alice Springs). The birds there
were just amazing. I haven't had a chance to work with the figures yet, but
there were several times as many birds as last year - which was itself a bumper
year. We confirmed three new species for the reserve - White-browed
Woodswallow, Red-chested Buttonquail and Square-tailed Kite - but it was just
the sheer abundance of the bird life that was so extraordinary. Most remarkable
were the many sightings of Spinifexbird in a variety of spinifex habitats. This
was a bird we had recorded at only one small old-growth location in 2009 and
2010. Other 'goodies' were Freckled Duck, Black-eared Cuckoo, Ground
Cuckoo-shrike and one flock (amongst many) of 60 Pied Honeyeaters. Strangely
not recorded were Grey Honeyeater, Grey Falcon and Redthroat, but these are
  always rare species in the area. I am sure the reserve managers Joe and Danae
would love to welcome birders to share the current abundance. We encourage
those with some experience of outback birds to do some 20-minute surveys at a
selected sample of our sites - both for the the benefit of the BA Atlas and for
AWC. Danae can give you the details.

Best regards,  Richard

Richard Jordan
PO Box 449