birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 14 Mar 2011 01:30:41 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Mar 2011.

Sun 13 Mar Eastern Osprey Culburra
Flying over Culburra industrial area
Bob Moffatt

Gang Gang Kangaroo Valley
Four birds incl one adult male feeding on buds/fruit of scribbly gum near Hampdon Bridge
Bob Moffatt

Gull-billed Tern NE of Deniliquin (Stud Park area)
A group of about 20 adult and immature Gull-billed Terns resting in flooded paddocks 30 km NE of Deniliquin. The first sighting by me in this district for several years.
Philip Maher

Sat 12 Mar Spectacled Monarc h Wilson River, Wauchope
A pair of Spectacled Monarchs were present at the Cobrabold Forest on the Wilson River,, Mount Boss State Forest
Tim Morris

Fri 11 Mar Oriental Cuckoo Norfolk Island 2899
My wife Sue observed an Oriental Cuckoo (Hepatic phase), in our backyard on New Cascade Rd. Got great pictures.
John & Sue O'Malley

Yellow-billed Spoonbill Pitt Town Lagoon
5x individuals seen at midday.
Jon Spicer-Bell

Wed 9 Mar Eastern Osprey Soldiers Point, Port Stephens
Two observed roosting on poles that are associated with an oyster lease.
Deryk Engel, Paul Burcher and Stephen Bloomfield

Wedge-tailed Eagle Budgewoi Lake, Toukley NSW
I live on the waterfront at Toukley on the 4th and top floor of apartments, I was on my balcony where the usual wild life such as corellas, ducks, seagulls and crows ponder about, when all the birds really started going crazy with noise, all of a sudden a Wedge-tailed Eagle appeared and started to circle 2 pelicans below who were catching a few fish, I was just amazed at seeing one of my favourite birds right in front of me, doing what they do best, it only lasted about 5 mins before the crows and other birds started swooping it, it then did 2 more circles and slowly dissappeared nth ways, I didnt think they would be this close coast.
Craig Cee

Tue 8 Mar Tawny Frogmouth Corner Kearney St and Kurrawatha Avenue, Armidale, New England.
Slowed down and stopped as we approached a single bird sitting in the middle of the road around 10.30pm. When he/she took off into a large gum tree, we were astonished to see an additional four (4) very active individuals sitting on various branches, interacting with each other, swooping for insects, etc. Possibly a pair and their 3 adolescent offspring, but difficult to tell.
Dr Richard Scully

Spotless Crake Botany Rd & Mill Pond Road, Botany
One bird sighted foraging along the roadside near the Mill Ponds, shot back to the cover of the ponds whan a Semi went around the corner.
Peter Mackey

Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Black-tailed Native-hen Northern Rd Cobbitty (or Local Rd No 9) being the Narellan to Penrith Rd
Yelow-billed Spoonbills on nearly every farm dam/pond along the Northern Rd. I counted 38 birds on 9 dams in small flocks (2 to 9 birds). I also found two Black-tailed Native-hens on one of the dam. There were also a lot of other water birds - mostly ducks, herons and grebes (incl Hardhead, A. Shoveller).
Ted Wnorowski

Mon 7 Mar Channel-billed Cuckoo Tea Tree Road, Forster
A late juvenile Channel-billed Cuckoo was begging for food at Tea Tree Forster, while a Rufous Whistler was also still calling.
Tim Morris

Plains Wanderer,Mallee emu-wren,Black falcon,Ground cuckoo Shrike Sydney to lake Cargelligo, Round hill,Hattah np,Terrik-Terrik and back
We started the first night at chat alley with liitle button, Juv red chested an stubble quails.then after getting supplies at lake cargelligo 2km back towards chat alley 5x ground cuckoo shrike were seen flying and playing for 3-5 mins with great veiws.then 1x female orange chat @ chat alley,round hill produced shy heath wren,yellow plumed & grey fronted honey eaters, male painted quail sitting tight on a nest ,Hattah NP produced 3x different family groups of Mallee emu wrens,horsefeilds bronze cuckoo,white fronted honeyeaters,crested bell birds, an 1 late sacred kingfisher feeding chicks in hollow (chicks were heard). Terrik-Terrik NP produced singing honeyeaters,hooded robins an whilst on a tour with simon for plains wanderers, we seen little button with 2x chicks, 1x male red chested button quail an finished the night with 1x young female wanderer. then heading north on deniliquin road a pair of black facons were seen hassling a fork tailed kite, A total of 159 species were seen in a 4 day 2900 km road trip.
Brad Gabriel, Rick Webb, Tim Faulkner, Scott Ryan

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Bundanoon (Morton National Park)
I went tramping in an area that I thought had real potential for heathwrens this afternoon, and, thrillingly, I came across two. The birds were quite shy, but my imitations brought them out of the thick understory a little. When they hopped along the track near me they reminded me of tiny Dusky Grasswrens, for some reason. These are the first CRHs I've seen in the Southern Highlands; they bring my Bundanoon list to a total of 111 species.
Lorne Johnson

Sun 6 Mar White-winged Black Tern, Greater Sand Plover, Pomarine Jaeger Newcastle Harbour
Participants of a FTB Trip to the Hunter Estuary on the weekend had a rewarding 2 hr chartered boat trip around the Harbour on Sunday morning seeing a White-winged Black Tern amongst the Common Terns on the first Green (Starboard) buoy inside the breakwall, a Pomarine Jaeger at the Harbour Entrance, a Greater Sandplover, 30 Sooty Oystercatchers, 54 Greenshanks and over 200 Pacific Golden Plovers on the Kooragang Dykes, 71 Magpie Geese and 14 Wandering Whistling Ducks at the Hunter WC, 3 Drongos at Fern Bay and another at Hunter WC. On the Saturday the 2 Lesser Sand Plovers were again seen at Stockton SS and 15 Sooty Oystercatchers were at the rocks near Horseshoe Bch, just inside the Harbour. while 5 adult Sea-eagles were seen in flight together over the Hexham Swamp at Leneghans Swamp
Alan Morris and Follow That Bird tour group

Fri 4 Mar Oriental Cuckoo Bangalee Reserve, 10 km west of , Nowra
A single grey plumage morph was clearly seen with grey barring on the breast. and stripes on the tail. Earlier on 28/2/11 at Pyree, east of Nowra, I believe i saw the same bird but failed to get a good look. although i could see the stripeds on the tail and barring on the breast. The Oriental Cuckoo was recorded in the area in the 1980s but don't know of any other records. A rare sighting.
Ann Millard

Wed 2 Mar Brush Turkey Mosman, Mosman Bay (Avenue Road)
Juvenile Brush Turkey seen at 7am near a large mound about 150 metres from the BP service station.
Charles Hunter

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.