birding-aus

Christmas Island Bird and Nature Week

To: <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Christmas Island Bird and Nature Week
From: Tim Bawden <>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 22:11:51 +1100
Hi all

Just a bit of a plug for Christmas Island Bird and Nature week mentioned by
Simon. I went on this last year and can highly recommend it to anyone who wants
to visit and experience Christmas Island but does not necessarily want to go on
a more hardcore twitching trip. Highlights include but not limited too

Close encounters with all the endemics
Great, approachable scientific guides with a wealth of knowledge on all topics,
not just avian
Handling a booby (that still gets giggles) amongst other things
Watching a CI goshawk raise its leg to allow the noose to slip over
Crabs galore
Tripping off a boat in the excitement to get in the water with dolphins
Excellent photo opps every day
Great company
Lisa Preston and her crew organising absolutely everything.

All bundled with nothing more to worry about for what I considered a very
reasonable price. I really should get off my butt and dig out the trip report I
wrote. The week may be fully planned but you still get plenty of time to spend
at the tip and the like if that floats your boat. :-)

I of course have absolutely no commercial interest in this week :-)

Cheers
Tim