birding-aus

yellow-eyed cuckooshrike

Subject: yellow-eyed cuckooshrike
From: Ronda Green <>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:11:47 +1000
This morning I saw a yellow-eyed (also called barred) cuckooshrike feeding on
figs on our home property at Running Creek (southeast of Rathdowney).  I recall
having seen them eating figs here way back in the late 80's, but haven't seen
them since.  They are wide-ranging but not  really common and I remember the
vet at Taronga Zoo being quite excited when I told him we had some at home. I
have a (not very good) photo of it with a fig in its mouth on the Scenic Rim
wildlife Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/Scenic.Rim.Wildlife. The fig is
the one that used to be known as Ficus platypoda but I think has now been put
in with F. rubiginosa even though the ones on this side of the border don;t
have the rusty colour under the leaves, leaving F. platypoda as the name of
others in northern and western (including Uluru!) regions.
It was a good morning - I also saw a white-faced heron 'buzz' a platypus
(presumably trying to catch a fish the platypus had disturbed), and an azure
kingfisher (which often follow platypus was sitting just downstream.

Cheers

Ronda

Ronda Green, BSc(Hons)PhD
Chair, Scenic Rim branch, Wildlife Preservation Society of Qld
http://scenicrim.wildlife.org.au/
 or

Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Scenic.Rim.Wildlife