birding-aus

Leica's warranty and customer service

To: "" <>
Subject: Leica's warranty and customer service
From: David James <>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 02:26:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi Peter,

earlier on when they agreed to honour the warranty, the rep from
Adeal suggested (with a caveat that no fault of mine was implied) that a range
of things could lead to corrosion:
immersion
impact damage
rain
humidity, especially in tropical conditions

In recent correspondence the same rep said corrosion was not the issue.

I can understand how internal corrosion may have damaged the casing from the
inside without my knowledge. However, I cannot see how it would destroy the
focusing mechanism (it didn't seize gradually, it jammed tight suddenly due to
a mechanical failure such as would occur as a result of a broken cog or a
displaced spindle) or how it would break the lenses (the same lenses that were
not broken when I sent it for repair).