birding-aus

Birds Australia - Victoria Group Portland Pelagic Trip Report, 13 Februa

Subject: Birds Australia - Victoria Group Portland Pelagic Trip Report, 13 February 2011
From: Chris Lester <>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:55:13 +1100

*BA-Vic Group Pelagic off Portland, Victoria, Sunday 13 February 2011

Participants:* Tim Bawden, Rob Farnes, Dougald Frederick, Peter Lansley, Rosemary Lester, Grant Penrhyn, Paul Sutherland, Chris Lester (organiser).

*Crew:* Tony and Adrian.

*Activity:* Departed Portland harbour aboard the boat from Game On Charters at 07.05, passing Lawrence Rocks and heading south to the shelf. Went straight out over the shelf to our first stop made over ~200 fathoms of water (38°49.39'E, 141°45.08S). Berleyed here from 09.20 till 11 before moving in a bit to 38°52.13'E, 141°49.29S . We stayed there from 12.00 until 13.00. From 13.15, we had our final drift and berley session on the 300 fathom line at 38°49.71E, 141°54.06S. Headed back in at about 14.00. As we were approaching Lawrence Rocks, we saw some whales spouting to the east and spent an hour watching the Blue Whales. Had a quick look at Lawrence Rocks before returning and docking at 16.45.

*Conditions:* Despite predictions of conditions that were at the upper end of acceptability for boat trips from Portland, there was an initial 10 knot S wind, which stayed pretty constant all day. It was a bit rough going into the 1-2 m swell with a sea of nearly 1 m on top. It was very overcast during the first part of the day with 95% cloud cover. We had a few sunny breaks but it was quite cloudy again as we returned (with 75%). Sea conditions stayed pretty much the same all day but it was much easier going in with the swell. Good diversity with 24 species of seabird recorded during the trip. Rarity-wise, the highlight was a Soft-plumaged Petrel, which turned up early at the first stop and gave us good views. The other bird highlight was the 2 Long-tailed Jaegers, which also came in very close. The Blue Whales were a major bonus.

*Mammals:*

BLUE WHALE: a mother and calf and a least one other east of Lawrence Rocks.

Common Dolphin: lots inshore, particularly around the whales.

Australian Fur Seal: a few seen on the way out and the normal numbers loafing at Lawrence Rocks.

*Birds:*

Grey-backed Storm-Petrel: 10 (2). All pelagic.

White-faced Storm-Petrel: 20 (6). Most pelagic, with a few travelling in and out.

Wandering Albatross: 2. Both Satge 4 or 5, pelagic.

Black-browed Albatross /melanophrys/: 10 (3). Mostly adults, though 2-3 immature birds seen.
/impavida/: 4 (3) All pelagic and adult.

Shy Albatross /cauta/: 30 (5).
/salvini/: 1. Pelagic at Stop 1.

Yellow-nosed Albatross: 30 (5).

Fairy Prion: 1. Pelagic at Stop 1.

White-chinned Petrel: 5 (3). All pelagic.

Flesh-footed Shearwater: 20 (5). All pelagic.

Sooty Shearwater: 2. Both pelagic.

Short-tailed Shearwater: 100. Mostly travelling in and out.

Fluttering Shearwater: 30. All over inshore waters.

SOFT-PLUMAGED PETREL: 1. Pelagic at Stop 1.

Great-winged Petrel: 50 (12). Mostly /gouldi/, but some /macroptera/. All pelagic.

Little Penguin: at least one heard at the Blue Whale spot.

Australasian Gannet: Several 1000. Most were on or near Lawrence Rocks and point Danger but a few offshore.

Black-faced Cormorant: 30 inshore, mostly on Lawrence Rocks.

LONG-TAILED JAEGER: 2 at the second stop.

Arctic Jaeger: 1 near Lawrence Rocks in the am.

Crested Tern: 30. Mostly inshore on or near Lawrence Rocks, but 4 pelagic.

Pacific Gull: 2 near the harbour.

Kelp Gull: 6 at Lawrence Rocks.

Silver Gull: 10 inshore in the am and a similar number in the pm.

Sooty Oystercatcher: A pair on Lawrence Rocks.