birding-aus

Fw: Two volume Slater field guide

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Fw: Two volume Slater field guide
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:26:14 +1030
Peter

I had the good fortune to go to a birdweek at Mallacoota with Graham Pizzey
in 1995 and  a very enjoyable and memorable week it was too.  Graham was the
person who encouraged all of us to learn the calls of birds and until that
point although I had been birding for six years by then, I hadn't put any
work into learning the calls.

At the time he was working on his revised field guide with the text
alongside the pictures, which has become the modern way for ease of
reference between the text and pictures.   The cost is that a lot of
information has to be left out, due to space limitations.  If you can get to
look at Graham Pizzey's, A Field Guide to Australian Birds with
illustrations by Roy Doyle, you will not only get extra information but get
to read some of Graham's beautiful prose and turns of phrase in relation to
the birds.

Gary