birding-aus

Alice Springs Sewage Ponds closed to birders.

Subject: Alice Springs Sewage Ponds closed to birders.
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:29:47 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Birders,
Concerning news from Power and Water Corporation today, they have announced
that the Sewage Ponds in Alice Springs are to be closed to birders, effective
immediately "to ensure public safety due to wild dogs in the area." No
re-opening date has been set.
There has been an issue at the ponds with 'wild' dogs for years and while it
has reached a peak in recent weeks the only victims I know of have been ducks
and the odd swan. Feral dogs are a persistent problem all over Alice Springs
(see: http://bit.ly/i0hZEk) so I find it a bit weird that its cause to suddenly
lock-up the ponds.
For those of you that don't know the region the ' Alice Poo Ponds' are legend
for the birds they attract and for the magnet appeal they have for local
birders too!  Recent birds sighted at the ponds include a Ruff, Orange Chats, a
nice Banded Stilt and a thriving population of Baillon's Crake. I sincerely
hope the site's closure is only temporary.
I will be in touch with Power and Water directly tomorrow and will post the
outcome here.
Cheers
Mark Carter
DesertLife  T ++61 (0) 447358045