birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swifts and Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfishers,

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swifts and Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfishers,
From: "Tony Russel" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:11:28 +1030

Mossman Gorge. Saturday 19thth around 11.00am  two  juvenile Buff-breasted
Paradise-Kingfishers sitting in trees about two feet below foot level , one
on each side of the footbridge which is  just off the carpark, about six
feet from the bridge on either side.  One adult was seen to fly past once,
disappearing into the trees upstream from the bridge. Many people, mostly
tourists,  were getting pictures of the juvenile birds, they  just sat there
for ages, presumably waiting to be fed.   Is this a notable breeding record
?

Same day at about 11.30 am , 2km before Wonga Beach turn ( coming from the
south), at least 200 Fork-tailed Swifts flying around above the highway.

We also checked the phone and power lines all the way from Craiglie thru to
Somerset Rd for Red-rumped Swallows but got none, and oddly there were no
birds at all on the water tower at Newell Beach.  Welcome Swallows and
White-breasted Woodswallows were present in numbers as usual. One Black
Bittern was seen along Stewart Creek Rd ( near Daintree village) .

We saw one Barn Swallow near Lake Tinaroo on Friday 18th.

And yes, as reported yesterday, we got the Eyebrowed Thrush on Thursday 17th
near Malanda.

Tony

Adelaide.