birding-aus

Malanda ET update

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Malanda ET update
From: " Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 07:14:27 +1000
All bad I'm afraid folks.

Jack and myself met up with Biggles in Cairns and arrived at Terry and
Michelle's flower farm at abt 1100 Sat 12th Feb.
The Eye-browed Thrush (ET) hadn't been seen by Dion et al that morning (Dion
had left by the time we got there). We patiently waited for the next 6 hrs
before we dropped Biggles off at CNS airport for an early evening flight. We
stayed ON in CNS and drove the 90min trip back on the 13th Feb arriving at abt
0700. We met the legendary Barbara Harvey (who held the Oz female list record
until Tanya pipped her!). She hadn't seen the bird earlier that morning. We
decided to share my hire car and check out a Golden Bowerbird location (found
the bower OK but not the bird and we had all previously seen GBB) and also
drove into an area where BFPFinches had been seen recently (no luck either). We
drove back to the flower farm and met a couple of other birders who hadn't seen
the ET whilst we were gone. We left in time to catch our flight back to BNE and
a drive to Bundaberg.

Some points of interest:

1. Speaking to Terry, I don't think anyone has seen the ET since abt noon Thurs
10th. They want to mow the grass in the area and I am sure Alan (via Terry)
will let us Birding-Aus know if the ET turns up again. I doubt that it is worth
other birders going up there to Stonehouse Rd at the moment. Terry found the ET
and knows his birds well and will keep an eye brow out for it (attempted humour
from a dipping twitcher).

2. There is limited suitable habitat for the ET around the immediate area and I
suspect that it had moved on despite it being a bit of a skulker.

3. A local (I think) photographer did ,in fact, 'push' the bird soon before it
apparently departed. We won't know for sure, but I reckon that there would have
been a fair chance that it would still be there now had that not occured.
Certainly, Terry said as much. Mike pre-empted this possible occurence. I doubt
that this was intended but sensible protocols amongst birders should be adhered
to especially when twitching rarities. PS This kind of ties in a bit with
another thread on Bird-Aus (which I have just skimmed over and deleted from my
inbox).....

4. Terry and Michelle Heidenreich were incredible hosts. Despite dipping, I
again came away thinking that Tableland people have to be the nicest in
Australia! I experienced this every time previously and whole-heartedly
recommend the area.

5. TC Yasi has knocked over a few trees but otherwise, you'd hardly notice.
This is because most of the damage to the forests and towns is south of CNS.

6. Accommodation in a flash multi-storey hotel (the Best Western) on the
Esplanade was cheap (AUD80 for a twin) and their All you can eat Seafood
Saturday for AUD25/hd was extraordinary. So, in short, it is a great time to
visit the non-Yasi parts of FNQ.

7. Thanks to Alan Gillanders, Mike C , Terry and Michelle (who even gave Jack
and I a bunch of flowers to take home to Jackie!) and other birders that we met
(sorry I am hopeless remembering people's names)

Hopefully ET will re-appear!

Bill