birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 14 Feb 2011 01:31:08 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Feb 2011.

Sun 13 Feb Pilotbird, Red-browed Treecreeper Mount Buffalo National Park
A Pilotbird was found in the understorey of Snow Gum woodland round Lake Catani. Three Red-browed Treecreepers were seen near Rollasons Falls. A White-throated Gerygone and 3 Flame Robins also nice sightings.
Michael Ramsey

White-backed Swallow Bowmans Forest (between Everton and Myrtleford)
Surprised to see two White-backed Swallows at the Bryce Blair Reserve, quite south in range here, usually further north around Chiltern and Rutherglen. Little Eagle and Western Gerygone also some good sightings at this site.
Michael Ramsey

Stilt Sandpiper, Fairy Tern, Buff-banded Rail Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Fairy Tern: Mouth of Little River with LittleTerns. Buff-banded Rail: Northern track at the Western Lagoons Pond 4.. Stilt Sandpiper: Seen initially on Austin Lagoon, then in various T-Section Ponds.
Paul Dodd, Ruth Woodrow, Dave Stowe, John Barkla, Alison Street, Fred Smith, Karan Kapitan, et al

White-eared Honeyeater Betley
A white- eared honeyeater has been feeding around our house over the last week. It is unafraid to feed within my presence.
Heather Freemantle

Sat 12 Feb Plumed Whistling-Duck Wilby
Three birds seen over a farm dam on Lavis Road, near the corner with the Benalla-Yarrawonga Rd. They were also here back in February 2010.
Michael Ramsey

Fri 11 Feb Fork-tailed Swift Wilby
A single bird seen above a flock of Tree Martins at home, before moving over to the bushland reserve to the south, first record for 2011.
Michael Ramsey

Ruddy Turnstone 13th beach 300 metres east of Black Rock
At 5pm this afternoon we observed 6 ruddy turnstones sheltering among the rocks. two were banded 'cph' and ' cmn' respectively. As we were leaving a flock of approximately 25 flew overhead.
hedley and Irena earl

Brown Gerygone Ferntree Gully
3 Brown Gerygones were seen this morning along the "Kokoda Trail", near 1000 steps. I am always a little surprised at the variety of good birds I see along this track, despite the very heavy foot traffic. Other birds seen were Satin Flycatcher (pair), Rufous Fantail (pair), Crested Shrike Tit, Eastern Whipbird (pair).
Brian Johnston

Red-necked Avocet Eastern Treatment Plant Boundary Road wetlands.
Flooded paddock opposite Gun Club Gate (5).
Colin Mulvogue

Crested Shrike-tit Zillah Crawour Reserve
(2).
Peter Booth

Sacred Kingfisher Blackburn Lake, Blackburn
Adult feeding young at nest in tree hollow.
Richard & Margaret Alcorn

Thu 10 Feb Pacific Golden Plover Black Rock end of 13th Beach
30+ Pacific Golden Plover sheltering among rocks on point 500m east of Black Rock
Ian Smissen

Wed 9 Feb Azure Kingfisher Leitchville 10' Cell
Box Bridge, corner Leitchville-Pyramid Rd & Kow Swamp Rd (1).
Malcolm Cousland

White-throated Needletails Orbost-Marlo Road
250-300 White-throated Needletails were observed actively feeding above the riparian vegetation along the Snowy River and in adjacent paddocks where lucerne had been recently cut.
Len Axen

Tue 8 Feb Musk Duck Lake Meran 10' Cell
Female in flooded paddock, Gredgwin East Rd/Ross Rd (1).
Malcolm Cousland

Royal Spoonbill Corio Bay
Mid-day, wading in shallows of Corio Bay (1).
Peter Booth

Buff-banded Rail, Fairy Tern, Common Tern, White-winged Black Tern, Ruff, Caspian Tern Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Not a bad morning to be at the treatment plant with a lot of waders (Red-necked Stints, Curlew Sandpipers) feeding on the beach just east of the Beach Rd boat ramp. Ruff was mixed in with Curlew S'pipers just off shore. Single Caspian Tern seen as well as many Fairy and White winged Terns. Common Tern seen hunting solo over edge of Lake Borrie. Buff-banded Rail actually came towards our car while on the track from the bird hide back to Paradise Rd. Ended up only three metres from us, great views.
Paul Randall

Mon 7 Feb Wedge-tailed Eagle Over Laverton North Grasslands
Single Wedge-Tailed Eagle soaring over grasslands in the triangle where Kororoit Creek Road joins the Westgate Freeway. Closest in to the City I have seen this species in the South-Western Suburbs.
Colin Clark

Sun 6 Feb Peregrine Falcon Miller Reserve Boronia
Peregrine Falcon flying around reserve late Sunday afternoon. Becoming quite common near here, may be residing locally. Has a wild local population of domestic pigeons to hunt.
Alf Forbes

Tawny Frogmouth My large suburban garden in Hoppers Crossing, 3029.
Have had a single resident Frogmouth (M?) roosting in Large Eucalypts in my garden since April 2009. A second Frogmouth (F?) appeared on 30/01/11 and today a third Frogmouth. All appear to be adult birds and roosting very close together. I have discussed these sightings with Marian Weaving, PhD. as per moderator's note on this site.
Peter Gibbons.

Swamp Harrier North of Leakes Road, Truganina, 250 metres east of Marquands Road.
At 1810hrs, observed a single bird gliding slowly and low with legs dangling over cultivated paddocks and swooping to the ground. An extremely large dark bird which appeared to be a juvenile female with partial pale underwing, no pale rump. Observed for some five minutes with binoculars. First that I have observed in this area. Different appearance to birds observed at WTP, in Werribee.
Peter Gibbons

Sat 5 Feb Indian Peafowl Coast Rd., French Island Western Port
Family group of adults and very young birds near the Red Bill Creek crossing of Coast Road. PV Ranger Mick Douglas indicated these were wild birds, surviving quite independent of the few nearby farms. This is the first record of the species for Friends of French Island National Park members.
Mick Douglas, Geof Lacey and Martin O'Brien

Cape Barren Goose Coast Rd., French Island north of Red Bill Creek
Over 40 birds (some of them juveniles) in paddocks adjacent to wetlands on private property. Its been a bumper year for CBG with nearby Phillip Island also experiencing good numbers of geese.
Martin O'Brien, Mick Douglas and Geoff Lacey

Black Falcon French Island, NW saltmarsh
A lucky sighting of a single Black Falcon while checking the north west wader roost for the Western Port Wader Survey. Good views by three observers of this rare raptor, seen flying low over the saltmarsh creating much alarm amongst the ducks and lapwings. This is only the fifth record of the species for the island, the last time was 1984.
Martin O'Brien, Geof Lacey and Mick Douglas

Fri 4 Feb Diamond Dove Thoona Victoria
At 0800, single Diamond Dove walking on a dirt road about 5 metres from the front of the car. Location on restricted access private land. Together with a Peaceful Dove. Clear view of red around the eye, significantly smaller than the Peaceful Dove, darker plumage with small white dots on the wings. Also heard this species calling in surrounding hills over the weekend.
Robert Baird

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.