birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 7 Feb 2011 01:30:53 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 6 Feb 2011.

Sun 6 Feb White-winged Chough Weeroona, Woodlands Historic Park
Group of 5 birds sighted, seemed fairly tame, but hard to get a good photo. These are the first I've seen here & I believe the only other record was of one bird. Also Australian Grebe, 2 adults with one chick on dam within park. Little Eagle, 1 light morph adult and 1 juvenile, both flying. One adult female Brown Goshawk. 1 Brown Falcon
Kevin Bartram

Hooded Plover Pt Roadnight (back beach)
Single hooded plover sighted this afternoon near its vulnerable nest that contained 2 eggs. Can understand why this species is on the wane when the nest was within 2 metres of the tide and in the open on a beach where dogs are allowed! Hope those eggs hatch!
hedley and irena earl

Sat 5 Feb Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Blue-winged Parrots Lake Modewarre, 20km SW Geelong
After years of drought Lake Modewarre is alive again with 70+ sharpies, 300+ black-winged stilts including sitting birds, 3000+ shelduck and many breeding swans among the birds seen tonight. 30+ blue-winged parrots feeding on thistles and other weeds in the Lewis Rd carpark, SW corner of the lake.
John Newman

Little Button-quail Wilby
1 female in the front garden, 3 more birds around the dam banks in the early afternoon. Most looking for some high ground after the recent heavy rains.
Michael Ramsey

Square-tailed Kite Clydesdale near Newstead
Active nest with one nestling close to fledging. One of the parents seen overhead.
Geoff Park

Stubble Quail Suburban Werribee
Much the same as the other Quail sighting from today. A single bird feeding on the ground with Sparrows and Turtle Doves in the front yard of my neighbours house. Has actually been there for a few days, I thought it may have been the extreme heat from the other day that might have grounded it but it has stayed on a little longer.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Painted Button-quail 116 Allister Avenue, Knoxfield, 3180
first time I've seen this species in Knoxfield, and it was feeding in my backyard after 120mm rain overnight
Tony Bushell

Thu 3 Feb Tawny Frogmouth Doncaster East
1) Sighted sitting on powerline in suburban court. 2) Sighted in gum tree in suburban park
Jacqui Eyres

Wed 2 Feb Osprey Aireys Inlet
Seen on consecutive days (1st and 2nd Feb) hunting over ocean and inlet. Likely to be same bird as reported from Apollo Bay 10/1/11?
Ian Sutherland

Long-toed Stint Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Still present SE corner of Western Lagoon 4
Chris Lunardi

White- browed Babbler Kamarooka State Forest
Seen in 2 locations - unknown number in dense understory off Campbell Road, 10 individuals in open woodland off Camp Road not far from dam. Also Brown-headed, Black-chinned, White-naped, Tawny-crowned, Yellow-tufted, Purple-gaped, Yellow-plumed, White-eared and White-plumed Honeyeaters in various locations in the park. Sadly no Black Honeyeaters yet as reported this time last year.
Murray Chambers

Lewin's Rail/Buff-banded Rail wtp Lake Borrie near bird hide
Following recent reports of sightings of Lewin's Rail we went to the reported sighting area. Spotted 4 birds 200 metres west of bird hide which on first sighting we believed to be Lewin's Rail until close examinations of photos showed they were in fact Buff Banded Rails. Birds were sighted at 6.30pm.
hedley and Irena Earl

Blue Winged Parrots Ocean Grove State Park
Small flock (6) of Blue Winged Parrots. Exceptional observing at Bird Hide near North fence, many common species in significant numbers (also 2 blue winged parrots at Anglesea yesterday)
Angus Hartshorn

Tue 1 Feb White-headed Petrel Aire River mouth
1 battered beach-washed bird.
George Appleby

Blue-faced Honeyeater bundoora melbourne
Has been in our garden for approx 1 month. I have only seen one, but we hear his call a couple of times each day. I have never seen one in melbourne before.
Kevin Payne

Cockatiel Nymphicus hollandicus Royal Park, Parkville VIC [approx 100m up path from Flemington Rd past tennis courts]
Time approx 5:30pm. Single bird in eucalypt tree being hassled by Noisy Miner and Wattlebird. Face paler, however, no obvious abdomen or tail barring; perhaps a juvenile male? [Moderator: Most likely an escaped cage bird]
Kaye Oddie

Fork-tailed Swift Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Group of three Fork-tailed Swift seen flying low over south Borrie. Stilt Sandpiper still present at Austin road lagoon number 1. Small number of Whiskered Tern at T-section were the first I have recorded here in a while.
Scott Baker

Cicadabird Fairhope (12 km N of Bairnsdale)
Heard calling from ridgetop box ironbark forest early on scorching hot day. Heard/seen fairly regularly over early summer, this our first record since 4 Jan.
Felicity & Chris Healey

Mon 31 Jan Red-necked Avocet Ricketts Point, Victoria
In front of the Ricketts Point cafe on an island some distance from the shore. Unable to see the birds for proper identification through binoculars. The six birds were only visible through a scope so the attached photo is not of the best quality.
Loris and Alan Baker

Blue-Billed Duck Kororoit Creek Backwash
A pair of Blue-Billed Ducks with 7 small ducklings can be seen from the board walk. Active in the evening
James Dredge

Powerful Owl Williamstown Victoria
Powerful owl heard and sighted at around 9.30pm. Perched on high branch in tree in suburban front garden not far from Williamstown Beach Railway Station. Beautiful clear hooting that went on for some time.
Loraine Callow

Cicadabird, Australian Owlet-nightjar, Pilotbird Bunyip State Park
An adult male Cicadabird was seen in drier forest along Tonimbuk-Gembrook Rd this morning, and an Australian Owlet-nightjar was calling happily at 10.30am along Link Tk. In the same spot was a pair of Pilotbird, the first after several months apparent absence from this spot. Other birds seen here were a single WT Needletail, 2 Blue-winged Parrot and a Beautiful Firetail calling from across the gully. Sublime conditions in the forest today.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Gull-billed Tern, Spotless Crake, Lewin's Rail. Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
A single Gull-billed Tern in basic plumage was up the far east end of the flooded paddock adjacent to the Western Lagoons this arvo, harrassed by a Silver Gull. Also a juvenile Lewin's Rail was spotted along edge of Little River seen from the Lake Borrie side at junction of road to Bird Hide, and nearby a Spotless Crake was heard in reeds edge of Lake Borrie at junction of road to Bird Hide.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Brown Quail and Gull-billed Tern Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, Kirks Point and flooded paddock near Spit
Following yesterday's report of brown quail in the area of WTP Beach Rd today at 3pm I sighted a pair crossing the dirt track near Kirk's Point. Thanks to Steve Davidson I also sighted the gull billed tern in 2 separate spots within the flooded paddock near the spit. LT Stint still present in western lagoon 4.. today feeding with sharp tailed sandpipers
hedley earl

Sun 30 Jan Long-toed Stint, Pectoral Sandpiper, Brown Quail Werribee Sewage Farm
Found 1 Long-toed Stint & 2 Pectoral Sandpipers independantly of earlier report in same area, eastern part of Western Lagoons at about 6PM. Got distant photos of Long-toed & better photos of Pectoral. 2 Grey Plovers, seem anchored to The Spit, one has an orange flag on it's leg. Very few waders in rest of area, only 4 Greenshanks in flooded paddock, no other waders there. Brown Quail repeatedly calling around Beach Rd gate. Seem fairly reliable there at moment, got distant photos in dull light of what appears to be a female on side of Beach Rd.
Kevin Bartram

Sat 29 Jan Turquoise Parrot (f) Genoa

Chris Lester, Stuart Dashper

Sun 23 Jan Diamond Dove Ned's Corner Station
One bird in Black Box woodland close to creekline on Trust for Nature property.
Doug Robinson

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.