birding-aus

owlet nightjar wilmington

To: birding aus <>
Subject: owlet nightjar wilmington
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:48:02 +1030
Not an unexpected sighting but while jogging this morning I heard an owlet
nightjar call from a peppermint box(Eucalyptus odorata).

Scraped the tree trunk and flushed it out and is so often the case it flew
to another hollow about 20 metres away.  It was good to see it as I haven't
seen one for many years and since we have been back home after 3-4 years
away my wife constantly hears them calling from our front yard at about 4.30
am in the morning.  She is a shift worker but thankfully, I am still asleep!

Gary