birding-aus

was (no subject) now eremaea v birding-aus

Subject: was (no subject) now eremaea v birding-aus
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:36:54 +0800

A useful topic, that probably needs to be discussed annually for new subscribers to birding-aus.

I would love birding-aus to be for the mega rarities, and as Dave Torr suggests use the Birdlines for the local rarities. This is the case with the WA sightings. If someone emailed me a very unusual sighting for WA, I would forward the details to birding-aus and to the birdswa email list (and put it on the Sightings web site). Alan Collins now looks after the Sightings web site, and I think that he would also do this, although as far as I can remember, all the major WA / Cocos / Christmas / Ashmore rarities have been posted to birding-aus by the observers, so there was no need for Alan to do it.

As others have commented, it is easier just to look through the birding-aus archives, than it is to check four or five Birdlines.

I am looking to come to Melbourne in a week or so to look for the Stilt Sandpiper, and so I would prefer that the sightings continued on birding-aus, but I do have a link to the Birdline just in case. I would also like failed attempts to find the bird to be reported, because of course it may move on, especially with all the rain around.