birding-aus

Re: Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities

To: "Lloyd Nielsen" <>, <>
Subject: Re: Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities
From: " Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:59:37 +1000
Hi folks,

I suspect that the combination of La Nina, strong northerly winds along with associated storm activity has resulted in an exceptionally high number of Asian vagrants turning up this austral summer on Cocos. There are only so many species that are likely to migrate even under the current unusual conditions. My guess is that 2010/11 summer will be prehaps a once in a lifetime to see so many new Australian birds to add to one's list.

As yet , Jack and I can not logistically and financially get over there unfortunately and I ,at least, admit that I am extremely jealous and would prefer to be twitching rarities than cleaning up here again after round 2 of our floods in Bundaberg (again fortunately not through the home).

Anyway, it is fantastic that Bill and Eileeen are fine and that Abberton will be back as the birding meca of the Lockyer. Bill and eileen had/has all 3 phalaropes in framed photographs in the home. Hopefully they survived the inundation.

Looks like the roads are open and I will be able to make a dash to Gladestone to investigate the large gull seen near the yacht club. If anyone else is up that way with news, please give me a bell on 0415 798084 (unashamedly attempting a twitch for no other reason other than I'd like Black-tailed Gull on my Queensland list!)

Cheers,

Bill