birding-aus

Cocos-Christmas

Subject: Cocos-Christmas
From: Chris Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:24:51 +1100
Maybe the problem does lie with Christidis and Boles. Their 1994
classification was titled* The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia
and its Territories* but come 2008 the classification became *Systematics
and Taxonomy of Australian Birds*. Both are technically correct but I guess
has given birders license to blurr the edges of what is "Australian". I
cannot imagine a book *Systematics and Taxonomy of British Birds* listing
birds from places as diverse as Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, Diego Garcia, St
Helena or Pitcairn. It would be a fascinating list though!

Chris Gregory

*
* presents an up-to-date classification of Australian birds. Building on the
authors’ 1994 book,