birding-aus

ebooks

To: "Jill Dening" <>
Subject: ebooks
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:50:39 +1100
Hi everyone

If we were in the USA then this would be an easier issue to deal with. Not
only do they have more field guides available as apps for iPhone / ipad
/Android etc, they have a much greater range of books available as ebooks.
Australian publishers continue to deny us that sort of access - but it is
changing gradually.

I think for a long time, though, it will mainly be "popular" titles that
are published as ebooks. There is a lot of frustration in the academic
world about the lack of textbooks available in electronic format. Many
publishers are reluctant to publish an ebook when they have a reliable
income stream from physical copies already. From what I've read on library
mailing lists, Australian textbook publishers will only provide an ebook
when a real book is purchased, or under strict licensing conditions that
make it difficult for school libraries to purchase electronic titles. For
most families buying textbooks, it is easier to buy a real book that can
be sold at the end of the year - that is difficult, if not impossible, due
to the digital rights management embedded in most ebooks. It's similar for
textbooks that come with a CD-ROM.

I think that in Australia it is unlikely we'll see a whole lot of ebook
titles in niche fields such as natural history.  So Jill, you'll need to
carry your plant, mammal and insect guides around for a while longer,
unless CSIRO get on board and put the challenge up to other publishers by
providing ebook versions of their  titles.

By the way, there are an increasing number of e-readers with colour
screens. Sony have a colour version, as do Samsung and (I think) Kobe. I'm
fairly sure a colour Kindle is available in USA, so we will have it soon.

Russell