birding-aus

RE: Princess Parrot Trips Wrap-Up

To: Andrew Stafford <>, " net. au" <>
Subject: RE: Princess Parrot Trips Wrap-Up
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 05:40:44 +0000
Good point Andrew, I think you're right. This does need some debate. Without
wanting to understate the seriousness of this issue and for the sake of debate,
here are some really quick thoughts.

After an earlier debate on the price of wild parrots I looked up the commercial
price for wild parrots in Australia and came across this document -
http://www.ozipos.com.au/sites/parrotsaustralia/downloads/birdpriceguide.pdf.
The prices really surprised me. It puts the price of adult pair of Princess
Parrot at $80. By contrast the price of a pair of Rainbow Lorikeet is $100 a
pair, Mulga Parrot $120 a pair, Crimson Rosella $150 and interestingly
Scarlet-chested Parrot is only $60. The price of the Port Lincoln race
(zonarius) of the Australian Ringneck is $120 a pair. On pure commercial terms
this means that it's more profitable to target nesting Ringnecks in the trees
in downtown Alice Springs than to target the Princess Parrot west of Alice
Springs. The fines for "unauthorised action with significant impact on listed
threatened species" according to the Convention on International Trade in
Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) are $550,000 (individual)
and $5,500,000 (body corporate), and an offence relating to threatened species
the fine of $46,200 and / or seven years imprisonment (individual). The
Princess Parrot west of Kings Canyon are (relatively speaking) under
significant surveillance from interested groups, such as  the Northern
Territory Natural Resources and Environment Dept and the CLC. This makes the
chance of being caught for illegal actions relatively high. It appears to me
that the costs (financial or legal) of illegal procurement of the parrots in
this particular case doesn't add up. I'm more than happy to be contradicted on
this - as mentioned my thoughts are purely speculative and the hole in my
argument may be so large that you could drive a mining truck through it!

Perhaps your second point is more important. The impact of large numbers of
visitors with 'positive' intentions (such as birders and photographers i.e. you
and I, although I'm a hopeless photographer :) may have far more serious
implications for the birds and their environment. As you mention, for example
through the spread of weeds, social and habitat disturbance, increased
potential for fire, etc. Therefore limiting birders and other interested people
from the site, in the way that the CLC, has done is easily the best plan of
action. As an aside it's also worth noting that Santos, one of Australia's
largest oil and gas production companies, is operating very near to the area
that the parrots have been found.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby