birding-aus

New brochure for non-birdwatchers

Subject: New brochure for non-birdwatchers
From: "Lynne Kelly" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:31:11 +1100 (EST)
Hi Martin and Illawarra Birders Inc,

This is a fantastic venture. Sincere congratulations.

I have taught 'Know Your Local Species' workshops in schools, and used the
local council's general wildlife identification brochures. While useful as an
overview of wildlife to start the discussion, they didn't serve a really
useful purpose. What the kids wanted was birds. I ended up creating a
Powerpoint of commonly seen local birds from Damian's (Kelly) photographs.

The workshop included an hour or so birding, and the birds sighted were rarely
those on the council brochure. I would have LOVED a brochure such as yours,
and so would lots of the kids. I have no doubt that many of them would have
gone on to try and tick all the boxes.

I do hope other birding groups follow your example (or let us know that they
already have done so, if I am way out of touch and didn't know about them).

cheers,

Lynne

--
Lynne Kelly, author