birding-aus

New brochure for non-birdwatchers

To: <>
Subject: New brochure for non-birdwatchers
From: "M & P Potter" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 11:12:00 +1100
Illawarra Birders Inc have just released a brochure aimed at non-birdwatchers
to help them identify the local birdlife they are likely to see around them. It
features photographs of 70 birds and the intention is to encourage people to
develop an interest in birdwatching - each photograph includes an all-important
tick box! Our local Councils were very supportive and funded the printing costs.

Copies have been issued to local community groups, tourist offices and other
outlets. Council has advised "We've had great feedback about your bird
brochure, everyone has found it really useful and I've been getting lots of
requests for them, they're running out the door downstairs".

Copies have also been sent to all local schools, whose response has been very
encouraging, eg "Thanks for the copy of the bird brochure. It's a terrific
resource for the community to help ID their local bird. Here at Corrimal High
it has been received with great interest by the science staff and we would like
to get a class set plus teacher's copies if possible. We will laminate a couple
as well for classroom use."

The brochure supplements the 'bird route' brochure issued here last year which
is of course aimed primarily at existing birdwatchers. We feel there is still
much to be done in raising the profile and popularity of birding, and hope this
brochure will help.

I personally have just scaled a steep learning curve in desk top publishing,
design and digital media to get the brochure into print (not to mention
expending a great deal of time); if there are any other clubs out there
interested in using any of the document (ie design, photos, text) as a free
template you are more than welcome to do so. Please contact me at
 for further details. A PDF copy of the brochure
can be viewed on our website at www.illawarrabirders.org (or I can mail you a
copy).

Martin Potter

Illawarra Birders Inc.