birding-aus

Hearing Birds

To: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Subject: Hearing Birds
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:33:44 +1100
Hi Dick,
All i can say is DO IT!
I'm still in my 30's (for a few more weeks anyway!) and have now had Oticon
hearing aids for a year and a half. It took me a while to get the courage up to
do it and get over the stigma etc but it was the best $10K i have spent. Like
you have said, i can now hear birds that i never had a chance of hearing
before. They have made life so much more enjoyable for me in so many ways.
One of the reasons i went with the top model Oticons was that they had a
frequency range up to 10kHz as opposed to 8kHz as the "cheaper" ones did. The
audiologists at Macquarie Uni were very helpful and I made it very clear about
the birding etc from the start. As Arwen has mentioned birds are often at
higher frequencies.

Cheers
Dave