birding-aus

Princess Parrots

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Princess Parrots
From: "Bob Way" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 11:59:52 +1100
The Princess Parrot episode is being used to generate a "one-off" source of
income for the traditional owners of the land but, obviously, is not going to
provide them with a sustainable income stream.

Traditional owner Douglas Multa is quoted as saying "We've got cultural sites
there, dreaming and all that, it's really important for me".  Maybe a bit of
lateral thinking, encouraged by the CLC, could have resulted in a different
approach?

The traditional owners might have decided that they would take birders to see
the birds "free of charge", however asking for a "donation" to cover expenses,
but with a collateral agreement that the birders also be taken to see and have
explained to them some of the sites and beliefs sacred to the traditional
owners.  Such an approach would have been an ideal opportunity for the
traditional owners to educate us in what is important to them.  As a
consequence it would have generated tremendous goodwill between the birding
community and the traditional owners.  I'm convinced that it would have
encouraged a far greater number of birders (and that includes me) to visit and
would have resulted in an overall increase in their income - see previous
argument on birding-aus.  The question of an appropriate "donation" could have
been worked out through birding-aus correspondence.

Ok, so I'm the one doing the dreaming.

Bob