birding-aus

Princess Parrots

To: " net. au" <>
Subject: Princess Parrots
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 11:26:35 +1000
I am flying out of Brisbane to see Princess Parrots tomorrow. It's on the
credit card (I'm by no means a man of means!) and I will consider it money well
spent. I would gladly have spent that extra money while I was on the Mereenie
Loop in August to be allowed to travel the comparatively short distance in
order to see the birds - it would have saved me a heap of money in coming back.

Frankly there's a serious loss of perspective going on in this thread. In any
other year you would be looking at a trip to, most likely, Jupiter Well, Lake
Tobin or Neale Junction in search of the birds. Getting to any of these places
costs a great deal more in both time, money and risk than what's being offered
here. The risks, as everyone should know, aren't insignificant. Ask Mike and
Trish Carter.

As for "finding the birds yourself" - total rubbish. It's not a matter of being
shown the birds, it's being allowed access to the area where you will be able
to find and see them for yourself quite capably. The challenge of seeing a
Princess Parrot isn't one of identification or the birds being overly cryptic,
it's about getting to where the birds are, pure and simple. Some observers
whinging about costs in this thread would pay as much or more money to twitch
an Ostrich or Canada Goose, for crying out loud - and then only if the birds
were nailed there, with a couple of sentries guarding them 24/7 to ensure they
didn't get away.

Andrew