birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 15 Nov 2010 01:30:34 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 14 Nov 2010.

Sat 13 Nov Red-billed Tropicbird update Lord Howe Island
Bird still present.
Jack Shick via birdingoz.com.au

Black Noddy Sydney Pelagic
The highlight of Saturday's Sydney pelagic trip was a Black Noddy, somewhat surprising this early in the summer with a water temperature of only 19degC. It was good to see numbers of Great-winged Petrels (>60) after several trips with very small numbers. There were still sizeable flocks of migrating Short-tailed Shearwaters which seems late in the season.
Roger McGovern

Wandering Whistling Duck, Musk Duck Pioneer Dairy Wetlands, Tuggerah
When a White-bellied Sea-eagle made a sweep over the Dairy Swamp, at the Pioneer Dairy Wetlands, it flushed all the White Ibis, Royal Spooonbills, Cattle Egrets and two Wandering Whistling Ducks which up to that stage had not been seen. Also present was a male Musk Duck, Whistling Kite, 7 Hardheads, Swamp Harrier, a Great Egret & Channel-billed Cuckoos.
Alan Morris & 17 members of a Follow That Bird Group

Satin Bowerbirds Nepean Weir area
Just saw two bowers near the weir. I have only started to see the birds here in the past 12 months, or at least hear them. In any case, I was watching a female in one of the bowers being wooed by her potential mate. He was making really odd buzzing, almost metallic, sounds and was holding a blue peg. Very neat experience as I have never seen the behavior before.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Gang Gang Cheltenham
Gang gangs are regularly (although infrequently) seen in the Beecroft/Cheltenham area; I saw a female today.
Nick Hodges

Fri 12 Nov White-throated Needletail Dee Why
A few seen near Manly Selective Campus this morning
Joshua Bergmark

Thu 11 Nov Grey Goshawk, Cicadabird, Rockwarbler Royal NP
Pair of Grey Goshawks observed gliding high over the northern ridge above the Hacking River just East of Audley, sent a flock of cockatoos into a frenzy! Cicadabird heard calling from the southern ridge and a single Rockwarbler at Winifred Falls. On another note: The BSC reported at Deeban Spit was NOT seen on either the 11th or 12th.
Max Breckenridge

Black-faced Monarch and Rock Warbler Great North Walk Galston Gorge
one Black-faced Monarch feeding in canopy of dry eucalypt forest amongst large sandstone overhangs. also a pair of Rockwarbler's feeding amongst sandstone escarpment and undergrowth.
Max de Beer

Tue 9 Nov White-throated Needletail Crowdy Head
4 White-throated Needletails were repeatedly swooping and circling in the area around the Crowdy Head lighthouse on Tuesday morning. Presumably they were feeding on something but I couldn;t see what. Had great views up close many times over 15 min or so, before they drifted away.
Alan Stuart

Spectacled Monarch, Varied Triller Harrington RF
A pair of Spectacled Monarch and at least one Varied Triller were in the rainforest at Harrington on Tuesday. There were hundreds of both Little Tern and Common Tern around the Manning estuary Monday/Tuesday. Some of the LTs were carrying food back to their breeding areas.
Alan Stuart

White-throated Needletail Wallaroo Natuonal Park, Clarence Town, nsw
30+ Needletails observed hawking above a ridgeline that is present within Wallaroo National Park, east of East Seahan Road.
Deryk Engel

White-throated Needletail King Creek (Wauchope)
20 - 30 birds hawking over my place at midday.
Clive Meadows

Mon 8 Nov Wompoo Fruit Dove, Topknot Pigeon, Catbird Saltwater NP
A Wompoo Fruit-Dove, three Topknot Pigeons and a Green Catbird, simultaneously in one large fig tree at Saltwater NP on Monday
Alan Stuart

Black-tailed Godwit & Barred Long-tailed Cuckoo Kingston, Norfolk Is.
At High Tide at Kingston, we observed x1 Black -tailed Godwit in amongst x3 Bar-tailed Godwits. Apart from the tail differences and flight differences, the bill length of the Black's bill was significant - much longer and straighter. Also observed x1 Red Knot amongst x12 Ruddy Turnstones. Inland x1 Long-tailed Cuckoo observed being chased and heard a Shining Bronze in the distance.
John and Sue O'malley

Black-faced Monarch Aldinga Drive, Wamberal
Single pair seen in a very thin strip of Rainforest on the eastern facing hill behind the houses.
Tim Faulkner

White-Throated Needletail Tomaree National Park, Port Stephens
20-25 birds seen at 10am. Passed over as a loose group all heading south.
Tim faulkner

Brown Skua 20NM east of Sydney Heads
A very late Brown Skua was seen on a pelagic charter off Sydney today. Also seen were two Long-tailed Jaegers and three Pomarine Jaegers - the first time that I have seen skuas and jaegers on the same trip.
Roger McGovern

White-throated Needletail Munmorah State Consevation Area
A flock of 60 was first seen at Tollgate Swamp, MSCA, then slightly further north at Freemans Hill (both Birds Australia, Bird Atlas Sites), and then over the Bbirdie Bach area generally 9.30-10.30 hrs
Alan Morris

Beach Stone-curlew - not there Deeban Spit, Maianbar (Royal National Park)
Went looking for this bird this morning but could not find it. The Sooty Oystercatchers (2 x pairs), Eastern Curlews and Bar-tailed Godwits were all there.
Deryk Engel

Sun 7 Nov Hybrid Lorikeet Nimmitta, Cranebrook.
I saw what I believe was a Scaly-breasted Lorikeet on Sunday morning feeding with a flock of Rainbows. When it turned toward me I saw the markings of a Rainbow, but not quite right. It appears it is a cross of the two.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Curlew Sandpiper Hen & Chicken Bay, Wareemba (Sydney's inner west)
Five Curlew Sandpipers seen in the afternoon; only migratory waders usually seen there are dozens of Bar-tailed Godwits.
Barrie Ayres

Glossy Black Cockatoo Kuringai Chase Nat Park
Spotted from the car a couple of hundred meters up the Mc Carrs Creek Road road from the bottom end of the Duck Holes Track. Was in flight but wailing that very characteristic call.
David Langley

Dusky Woodswallow Princes Hwy, Arncliffe (inner west Sydney)
Two very urban Dusky Woodswallows on the powerlines in amongst the car yards on the very busy Princes Hwy (corner of West Botany Street). I have seen them close to here before at a couple of sites along Cooks River (Cahill Park, Arncliffe and Waterworth park near Tempe railway station).
Alistair Poore

Plumed Whistling-Duck Narrandera Cell
2 individuals seen perched in tree near road overlooking flooded dam, 8 km from Narrandera on Barellan Road. They took flight as I observed them.
Colin T. Richardson

Pied Osytercatcher Lake Cathie
3 Pied Oystercatchers present briefly at the Lake Cathie entrance before being chased off by dogs.
Tim Morris

Black Bittern, nesting Collared Sparrowhawk and Brown Goshawks, Azure Kingfishers Western Sydney Parklands (Quakers Hill - Doonside)
Mark Fuller and I had some good birding in our local area this morning. The Black Bittern was seen briefly as it flew across Richmond Rd into the Quakers Hills section of the Western Sydney Parklands. At this end we also saw 3 Dollarbirds, Azure and Sacred Kingfishers, Crested Shrike-tit, Eastern Whipbird, nesting Laughing Kookaburra, a Peregrine Falcon circling overhead, a few Scarlet Honeyeaters and a Brown Goshawk on its nest. At the Glendenning section, we also saw another Dollarbird, a few Sacred Kingfishers, Nutmeg Mannikins and heard a Leaden Flycatcher. At Nurragingy Reserve, the Collared Sparrowhawk was seen on its nest in the middle of one of the picnic areas not far from the main lake. I also saw here another Azure kingfisher, watched a Great Egret in hunting mode within 2 metres from me, heard White-throated Gerygone and a few more Scarlet Honeyeaters.
Edwin Vella and Mark Fuller

Fri 5 Nov Malleefowl Round Hill / Nombinnie N.R
A single bird was observed late in the afternoon crossing a dirt track. It was observed for about 15 secs before it disappeared into the scrub. A Shy Heathwren was also observed in a low shrub
Scott Ryan

Large-billed Scrubwren Robertson Nature Reserve
3 birds seen near entrance to the reserve late afternoon. One bird came close when I mimicked its call. There is also a Satin Bowerbird's bower in the reserve - same spot as last year. An Eastern Whipbird was also feeding and calling twenty feet above my head.
Lorne Johnson

Thu 4 Nov Wood Sandpiper Lake Cargelligo STW
A visit to the Lake Cargelligo STW found a lone Wood Sandpiper , along with Black-tailed Native Hen and Australina Shelducks being the more interesting species amongst the usual suspects. A group of White-winged Fairy-wrens was seen in the surrounding vegetation.
John & Carole Carpenter

Tue 26 Oct Square-tailed Kite Tooleybuc
One adult flying over the town right on the Victorian border
Dion Hobcroft

Tue 31 Aug Channel-billed Cuckoo Pennant Hills
Have just received the Latest newsletter from Birding Australia (FOC) and note that I can beat the earliest sighted Channel-bill in the Sydney area: 31 8 10. The earliest I have heard one since living in the area. (The first Koel in Pennant Hills was later for me: 10 9 10). Also seen 1 8 10 in Cherrybrook bush: a Brown Goshawk.
Nick Hodges

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.