birding-aus

(no subject)

Subject: (no subject)
From: "Tony Keene" <>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:31:32 +0100
Hi Nick,

I was there around the same time (16th-21st October) and managed to get 38
lifers and a few birds I'd not seen in Australia before. I did manage to get
the Mangrove Robin, though, which made me feel a bit better about not getting
out to Cassowary House or Michaelmas Cay:
http://www.tonykeenebirds.co.uk/abirds/mangroverobin.html

Also, if anyone is using Yahoo mail to access the list, they might have run
into the same problem that has led to me using a different mail account - for
some reason Yahoo has disabled my account for two hours every time I've tried
to send a message to the list for the last few days, claiming that messages
about Cairns and the IOC are spam.
Grrrr.

Cheers,

Tony

-----------------
 Hi All,
I spent a week in the Cairns area from 13-20 October, birding most of the well
know places. Highlights were as follows:
Centenary Lakes – Cicadabird, Black Butcherbird and Radjah Shelduck Michaelmas
Cay – Common and Black Noddies, Sooty, Bridled, Roseate and Black-naped Terns,
Great and Lesser Frigatebirds, Brown and Red-footed Boobies. Mt Lewis – Most of
the highland rainforest specialties including Fernwren, two parties of
Chowchillas, Bower’s Shrike-Thrush, Victoria’s Riflebird etc Carr Rd – The
early arriving Buff-breasted Paradise-Kingfishers, Noisy Pitta, Pied Monarch
and Yellow-breasted Boatbill Hurricane Rd – Squatter Pigeons Daintree Cruise
with Daintree River Experience – Great-billed Heron, Black Bittern, Papuan
Frogmouth, Shining Flycatcher, Large-billed Gerygone, Little Bronze-Cuckoo
Cassowary House – Southern Cassowary (with young), Grey Goshawk, Superb
Fruit-Dove, Wompoo Fruit-Dove Cairns Esplanade – the usual waders plus a
Broad-billed Sandpiper. Longlands Gap – Golden Bowerbird
Missed a few things that I searched for including Black-throated Finch,
White-eared Monarch, Little Kingfisher and Mangrove Robin, but otherwise a
fairly successful trip.
If anyone wants any more info on particular records or sites, please feel free
to drop me an email.
Good Birding!