birding-aus

Brush Turkey Nesting behaviour

Subject: Brush Turkey Nesting behaviour
From: Belinda Cassidy <>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:09:06 +1000
Hi all!

We live in Brisbane, and this year a male brush turkey decided to make his
nest in our garden. He's been at it for 5 days now, with most of the mound
being put together within the first 2 days. Its not quite a meter tall yet
though; it probably only 70 cm in height.

Anyway, Yesterday a female brush turkey first  approached his mound, and his
behavior has been so interesting to watch. I am wondering if anyone in this
group can tell us what it means?

Pretty much what happens is the female turkey enters our yard, and the male
starts to parade over his mound. He picks up leaves and other debris in his
mouth, then drops it, and starts to dig a hole. When the female finally
climbs onto his mound, the male buries himself in the hole that he dug,
spreads his wings with his head buried underneath him, and he lays
completely motionless. She then digs a hole next to him, and pretty much
buries him in the process. Its hard to see how he breathes, since his head
is buried down his hole too, like an ostrich.

She has done this twice, and then she walked ff without laying any eggs. I
think the mound isn''t deep enough yet?

What we are wondering about, mostly, is how long would it normally take for
some eggs to be laid in a new brush turkey  mound? Is it likely to happen
soon, or does the mound need a  lot more time to decompose before the eggs
are laid?