birding-aus

Comb-crested Jacana behaviour

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Comb-crested Jacana behaviour
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:01:15 +1000
Yesterday I visited a wetland area near where I live to try to get some photos
of jacanas and grebes.
While I was photographing the jacanas one bird displayed some activity which I
have not before seen this species perform.

The bird was foraging on and amongst the water lilies by simply walking, with wings folded or very nearly so, on the lily pads and pecking at or under those pads. Then suddenly and for only a very brief time the bird spread its wings, lowered its head almost to 'ground' level and appeared to examine something in the water.
Another jacana quite close by appeared to take no notice of the first bird.

HANZAB does not describe this type of behaviour and I am wondering if it was just an aberration or if it has been observed by other members of this list.

I have placed two photos showing the behaviour on a web page at
http://users.tpg.com.au/inglisrc/html/jacana_behaviour.html

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld