birding-aus

Introduced bird species

To: "Ralph Reid" <>
Subject: Introduced bird species
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 23:15:39 +1000
Hi Ralph, et al,
There are plenty of sightings of Superb Lyrebird in Tasmania .... and they are
spreading.

Originally introduced (separately) around Hastings Caves in the south, and Mt.
Field NP, they are now reported from those areas (we've personally seen them a
number of times in various areas in the south), near lakes Gordon and Pedder,
mounds have been observed near Interlaken, and there is even a recent report
from near Mole Creek.

But this is not the only "Australian" species that is actually feral to
Tasmania.  Also need to include Laughing Kookaburra, Little and Long-billed
Corella, Rainbow Lorikeet, and many would also include Galah.

Cheers,
John Tongue
Ulverestone, Tas.