birding-aus

Morcombe app - some comments from the author

To: "" <>
Subject: Morcombe app - some comments from the author
From: David Adams <>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:09:25 +1100
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Dave Torr <> wrote:
> As a software developer I can state that there is probably a large benefit
> in using an existing application - there are two parts to such a development
> - the code which hangs all the bits together and the content (descriptions,
> calls, images etc). If you don't have to redevelop the code bit but "only"
> get hold of the descriptions, images etc then it saves a lot of cost and
> time.

Absolutely. My ears perked up when I heard that the Morcombe and
Sibley apps are based on the same basic code. iPhone development is a
very peculiar beast. If someone has worked out a decent framework and
engine for converting bird field guides into iPhone apps, it's
fantastic news for several reasons:

* It increases the chances of more guides being turned into iPhone
apps. (I'm buying iPhone guides that duplicate some of my paper guides
or that supplement guides I've already got on paper. You can never
have too many decent field guides...)

* Bugs fixed/features added to one guide can easily be made to the other.

* Who wants to learn a new interface for each guide? It's far better
if they're similar.

* Economies of scale. I _want_ the developers to make money and
they've got a better chance of doing so if their code is sold more
often. Development, testing, provisioning (surprisingly hard) and app
approval for the App Store are....involved. So much the better if the
developers have multiple guides to make money from.