birding-aus

Could anyone help me figure out a good light weight tripod for my new Ko

Subject: Could anyone help me figure out a good light weight tripod for my new Kowa Prominar TSN 663 scope
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 14:58:25 +1100
Hello fellow birders,
I'm purchasing a  Kowa Prominar TSN 663 scope from the US after reading
Richard Jenkin's posting August 29 Vol 53 Issue 40, with our dollar being so
good against the US dollar and I'd love some help with finding a good and
not to expensive light weight tripod for it (I'm hoping to pay less than
$200. Is this realistic?). My present tripod weighs 4 kg (with the head
included) and I'll keep that for use with the car, but that is a bit of a
joke to travel with.  The TSN 663 weighs just over 1kg and with the 20x60
zoom, is an additional 235 grams. Is there a 'rule of thumb' ratio with the
weight of scope compared to weight of tripod?
Best wishes,
Patrick Scully