birding-aus

black and white White-winged Fairywrens on mainland

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: black and white White-winged Fairywrens on mainland
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:57:31 +0000
Hi all,

Just returned from a great trip up the WA coast from Perth to Coral Bay.

On the Peron Peninsula in Shark Bay (the middle finger, as it were), just south of Denham, I observed several male White-winged Fairywrens that were black and white, as opposed to the usual dark blue and white.

This was not a trick of the light as on one occasion I was able to compare a black and white individual with a blue and white one in the same bush and the bw ones were definitely b and w.

Dirk Hartog Island, home of the nominate, black and white, race is only 50 kms or so away from this point as the Fairywren flutters, off the tip of the outer peninsula in Shark Bay, so I guess there must be gene flow on to the mainland.

John Leonard