birding-aus

McPherson Ranges SE QLD Today

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: McPherson Ranges SE QLD Today
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:42:38 +0000
Hello All,

I spent the day birding in the McPherson Ranges today (still learning my new
patch, I think this is the correct geographical term!), visiting Mt Tamborine
NP and Lamington NP. It was a pretty quick visit to both locations, but I still
got some good birds.

On the way up to Mt Tamborine I got a Forest Kingfisher by the roadside, before
stopping in the Witches Falls parking area. I spent a couple of hours here,
heading off along the trail behind the cemetery. Along here the highlight was
three Albert's Lyrebirds, with a host of other expected birds seen including
Brush-Turkey, Emerald Dove, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Green Catbird, Pale-yellow
Robin, Pale-headed Rosella and Large-billed Scrubwren amongst others.

I then headed up to Lamington NP, picking up a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles and
a lone Grey Goshawk on the climb up. Birding around O'Reilly's was productive,
and I added Logrunner, Regent and Satin Bowerbirds, Golden Whistler, Brown
Gerygone and Yellow-throated Scrubwren in the forest, and King Parrots and
Crimson Rosellas at the feeding area. Because I was short on time I didn't have
time to chase down Noisy Pitta, Paradise Riflebird or Shining Bronze-Cuckoo
which all went down as heard only.

Non-birding highlights at Lamington were a Fawn-footed Melomys, a few Whiptail
Wallabies (on the way down) and what I think was a pair of Wilcox's Frogs in
amplexus (I've just picked up the Tyler & Knight Field Guide to Frogs, and am
still learning the ropes).

For a late start and with not much time, a pretty good day.

Nick Leseberg