birding-aus

Where have all the Silver Gulls gone?

To: "'Jill Dening'" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Where have all the Silver Gulls gone?
From: "Chris Baxter" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:18:40 +0930
Hi Jill and All

Just saw email about breeding Silver Gulls. This species breeds throughout
late winter - spring on KI. Thousands of nests of tape weed (dry sea grass)
in samphire bushes in marine estuaries etc. Other seabird breeding is as
follows: Black-faced and Pied Cormorants breed first for the year in late
autumn - through winter, then the silver gulls, then Little Pied Cormorant,
ibis, Pacific Gulls, oystercatchers and spoonbills in spring -summer,
followed by crested, Caspian and fairy terns in summer. Aust Pelican seems
to breed throughout the year at Kingscote-probably due to artificial feeding
at wharf at 5 pm every day (tourist attraction!).

Cheers

Chris Baxter