birding-aus

Crested Pigeon Wing Display - Bronzewings too

To: Carl Clifford <>,
Subject: Crested Pigeon Wing Display - Bronzewings too
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:44:51 +1000
I have often seen Common Bronzewings (and once a Brush Bronzewing)
lying on their sides with underwing and side exposed - usually aviary birds at Melbourne Zoo and Healesville Sanctuary. I've occasionally seen it in the wild.
  The Bronzewings lay still for some minutes, without wing-flicking.
It was usually in a spot where a patch of sunlight struck the ground and I decided that the bird was sun-bathing - after a while it changed sides. The birds did not look as completely daft as sunbathing Starlings and Blackbirds can, but remained wary. I have also seen this attitude taken when rain was starting - in this case the bird was out in a fairly open position, and I believe it was rain-bathing. Galahs expose the underwing to rain at times too, sometimes when perched.

Anthea Fleming