birding-aus

Crested Pigeon Wing Display

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Crested Pigeon Wing Display
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:41:35 +1000
I think the answer is 'all of the above and more'.

It's a regular habit among Crested Pigeons, Bar-shouldered Doves, Peaceful
Doves, and Spotted Doves in my garden, and I'm sure many other species. Lewin
Honeyeaters come to mind - but mostly pigeons and doves.

They often do it in the rain. And in the heat of a 40 degree plus summer's day
I've seen a gang of Peaceful Doves lying in the shade, each with one wing
raised, like a troupe of dancers holding a matching pose.

I guess it's a bit like spotting someone in the distance standing under a tree
with one arm aloft - there can be any number of reasons why he's doing it, and
it isn't really unusually, but we can't help wondering what he's actually up to.

Bill Jolly