birding-aus

Assault on Hair by Birds (was Attack by Friarbird).

To: Greg & Val Clancy <>, bird <>
Subject: Assault on Hair by Birds (was Attack by Friarbird).
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:54:44 +1000
Spot on, Greg.

There is a photo titled "White-eared honeyeater gathering hair for
nest-lining" at page 87 in "Bird Wonders of Australia", by Alec Chisholm
(Angus & Robertson, 1948).

The photo carries the credit: "Self-photo: K. A. Hindwood".  And Chisholm
devotes Chapter XI - "Birds that steal human hair" to discussing this
practice of that species.

Cheers

Syd