birding-aus

A few more sightings from SW NSW

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: A few more sightings from SW NSW
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:47:32 +1000
Once again I had the opportunity to travel to Griffith from Mildura and back
again during the week and made the following sightings:
Fairy Martin - Flying at Ranfurley Bridge in Mildura on the 6th (I had seen
some in the Riverland in SA in late August as my first returners)
Sacred Kingfisher - At least 4 calling at Bushy Bend, Hay on the 7th of
September, 1 at Yanga homestead (east of Balranald) on the 8th
Pied Currawong - At least 3 present in Hay on the evening of the 7th (these
would appear to be a long way west and also a lot later than they usually leave
the south west plains.
Superb Parrot - 1 in Boree on the Bringagee-Griffith Road and 2 just east of
the Birdcage rest area on the Sturt Highway on the 8th
Spotted Harrier - 1 about 1km east of Burabogie homestead on the Sturt Highway
on the 8th.
Lots of Rufous and Brown Songlarks along the way.
Yanga Lake is filling up (first time since 2001) and there are plenty of ducks
around the edge (I will stop again on Monday and see what is there properly)
and apparently many of the wetlands in Yanga NP have water.
The Acacia melvillei between Balranald and Euston is just about in full flower
and is a spectacular sight.
Spring in the SW is looking good.
Cheers,
Peter