birding-aus

swooping magpies

To: <>
Subject: swooping magpies
From: "Graeme Gallienne" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:46:24 +1000

Hi all,

It is very sad to hear of the death of a 12 yo boy after a magpie attack.  I
was attacked by magpies when I was about 13 in the Warrumbungle Mountains
National Park near Coonabarabran (Central NSW) and at that age it was very
scary and the natural instinct is to run.  The bird that attacked me
repeatedly as I ran down a very steep and rough mountain track left several
bleeding sores on the top of my head.  I was in tears when I reached safety.

Now that I'm much older and wiser (actually it was my husband's idea) I wear
a bash hat when I go outside as I have a pair of nesting magpies in a small
gum tree behind my house and the male has a set on me - every time I go
outside he swoops me, he hasn't made contact yet but if I wear the bash hat
I feel safer.  He doesn't attack anyone else, only me.  This morning all I
did was stand at the back window and he swooped me - I'm sure its his sport.
I don't want him removed as then the female would have the chick raising
responsibility all on her own but it is very frustrating and certainly tests
my patience.

Cheers,

Sandra Gallienne