birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 01:30:50 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 5 Sep 2010.

Sun 5 Sep       Glossy Black-Cockatoo Koolewong track, West Head,
Kuringgai Chase NP
We observed at least two (probably three) Glossy Black-Cockatoos at the
start of the Koolewong track at close range and without camera (of
course), while they were enjoying a late afternoon Casuarina nut snack,
their presence being announced by the sounds of the cracking.
Frank Valckenborgh

        Eastern Koel Centennial Park
First local record for me this spring.
Eric Finley

        Flame Robin Moss Vale (wetlands on the way to Berrima - off
Berrima Rd.)
Late morning, I watched a pair foraging (in cattle yard with wattle
tree) opposite the wetlands. Is there any colour in Australian nature as
vibrant and exquisite as the vermillion on the male's chest? For an
hour, I was hypnotised by the beauty of the male.
Lorne Johnson

        Plumed Whistling-Duck Woodford, Blue Mountains.
There was a single Plumed Whistling-Duck on the small Park road dam this
morning at Woodford. I watched it for a few minutes and it made it's way
to a small bank on the other side when it sensed my presence. I left
after a while and returned about 30 mins later with my camera but there
was no sign of the duck. Thinking it had gone, I went over to where it
had last been sitting and when I was within about a metre it took off
out of some reeds with a squeal-like whistle. In April 05 I recorded 15
of these ducks on the same small pond.
Mark Ley

Sat 4 Sep       Lewin's Rail Katoomba
This afternoon Graham Turner and I were in a small swamp near the town
of Katoomba where we heard a Lewin's Rail calling for over 20 minutes.
Could not get a glimpse though due to the extremely dense vegetation.
Ákos Lumnitzer and Graham Turner

        Powerful Owl Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens
Still in the Rainforest Walk.
Paul Bruty

Fri 3 Sep       Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo Atarmon station
Two birds feeding by the side of the railway line close to the station.
Tony and Johanna Keene

        Great Knot Taren Point Shorebird Reserve
One bird in partial breeding plumage among a couple of dozen Bar-tailed
Godwits. Also 3 Pied Oystercatchers.
Roger Giller

Thu 2 Sep       Superb Parrot, Baillon's Crake Herm1dale, west of Nyngan
A flock of 12 Superb Parrots 30 km W of Hermidale and another flock of
14+, 8 km E of Hermidale seen early on Thursday morning, later in the
morning a Baillon's Crake at the Warren STW
Allan Benson & Alan Morris

        Rainbow Bee-eater Sawtell
Single bird heard calling in flight over Sawtell this morning (08:35),
first return for here. They have not been present over winter.
Peter Higgins

        White-winged Triller Yambil Street, Griffith
A pair observed flying low overhead
David Parker

        Spotless Crake Penrith Swamp
I ventured out into a totally untouched part of this swamp complex this
morning looking for the resident Swamp Harriers. I did see one, but from
near me came a call that I was not familiar with. The call was made
twice by a bird among the reeds and I could not see them. Upon returning
home, I listened to my crakes as the call kind of reminded me of
Baillon's but it was not that since I am rather familiar with that
little crake having seen and heard them a number of times and from less
than 5m away at Bushell's Lagoon. Upon going through all the local crake
calls I realized that what I heard was definitely a Spotless Crake, a
totally new species for me. Lots of Australian Reedwarblers and heard
two Little Grassbird too.
Ákos Lumnitzer

        White-throated Gerygone Nimmitta
Heard my first for spring. My last record from here was March 7th. This
little warbler was calling non-stop for the hour I was present. Great to
hear more migrants. Still waiting for Koels and Channel-billed Cuckoos
to come my way.
Ákos Lumnitzer

        Osprey Ulladulla
Met up with Mike Jarmin from NPWS on 31/8 at Osprey nest site. He had a
telecom rep climb the tower to check on an eggless but ready and
completely lined nest. While there 2 Shoalhaven Council reps arrived
with the proposal of installing a camera soon if able to without too
much disturbance to the Ospreys. The pair continue to habitat the nest,
the hen has been a constant occupier of the nest with the male bringing
food. If the camera is installed I'll forward all the details to
connect.
Bob Rusk

Wed 1 Sep       Channel-billed Cuckoo Meade Park, Allawah
1 flew over calling early in the morning (Moderators Note - 3rd record,
we will stop publishing at 10 records!)
Gerry Richards

        Eastern Koel Manly Selective Campus, North Curl Curl
Also Channel-billed Cuckoo - both migrants seen for my first time this
season this morning (first day of spring haha). Also an Olive-backed
Oriole calling.
Henry Coleman

        PACIFIC BAZA King Creek, Wauchope
A pair of Pacific Baza in a tree in my garden this morning. A nice start
to Spring and the 7th species of raptor recorded in/over our garden
since we moved here a month ago.
Clive Meadows & Louise Earnshaw

        Channel-billed Cuckoo North Parramatta
While waiting for my bus this morning a Channel-billed Cuckoo flew over
the bus stop in North Parramatta. (Moderator Note: C-BC's now becoming
well reported in Sydney Basin & generally wont be listed further.)
Trevor Waller

Tue 31 Aug      Pacific Baza Wattle Flat, Royal National Park
One bird overhead about 2:30 p.m. Did two circuits over the picnic area
and caused quite a stir amongst the resident ducks, Dusky Moorhens and
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. It was mobbed by Australian Magpies,
Australian Ravens and Magpie Larks and soon departed.
Roger Giller

        Glossy Black-Cockatoo Lower Pappinbarra
A pair flew to a roost on the edge of the forest at sunset.
Ian Kerr

        Eastern Curlew Woy Woy
Single Eastern Curlew foraging on sand flat at eastern end of Woy Woy
Channel.
Warren Brown

        Australian Reedwarblers are back in the west Penrith Swamp
I was elated to hear the arrival of spring that could not have been more
appropriately announced than the three plus Australian Reed-warblers
busily advertising their territories around the swamp. The resident
Dusky Woodswallows are building nests and the 60+ Chestnut-breasted
Mannikins, the pair of Crested Shrike-tits are still present, as well as
the resident Swamp Harriers. Also heard a rather high-pitched tinkling
call that reminded me of my Grey Currawong sighting about a month ago up
the mountains. Knowing that Colin Scouler had one close-by at Penrith
Lakes recently made me think that it's the same bird perhaps, but
without actually being able to see what exactly made the noise I could
not be sure.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Mon 30 Aug      Rufous Scrub-bird, Logrunner, other species Gloucester
Tops
Penny Drake-Brockman, Mike Newman and I went up to Gloucester Tops on
Monday 30th to do a reconnaissance for HBOC's Rufous Scrub-bird survey
that will take place there over 15-17 September. We walked 2 km along
Kerripit Rd beyond the gate, finding two calling males i.e. two probable
territories. If the males are still at those sites in a couple of weeks
time, the probability that these are territories will go up. We didn't
find any other sites but it is early in the season for birds to be
calling. At one site, the bird only called for a couple of minutes and
before & after that it was silent for the 15-20 minutes that we were in
the general vicinity. Although it was a quietish day for birding, other
good birds we recorded were: 1 x Olive Whistler, 1 x Crescent
Honeyeater, 1+ Logrunner, 2 x Crested Shrike-tit, 3 x Red-browed
Treecreeper (probably - not seen well), 1+ Bassian Thrush, 2+Lyrebirds,
1 Brush-turkey. We can fit 2-3 additional people in on the Sep 15-17
survey, if anyone is interested. Alan Stuart
Alan Stuart

Sun 29 Aug      Rockwarbler Warrimoo Track
500m SE of Bobbin Head Marina, several birds in mangroves and scattered
boulders beside Track.
Harry Roberts

        Crested Shrike-Tit, Rose Robin, Scarlet Robin, Rock Warbler,
Red-browed Treecreeper Nattai River west of Hume Highway, Mittagong
Notable sightings while on a bushwalk just to the west of the Hume
Highway. After many days of high winds great bird activity.
Terry Dunlea

Wed 25 Aug      Hooded Robin, Splendid Fairy-wren Kemendok National Park
(former Nature Reserve section)
Male Hooded Robin observed as well as a party of Fairy-wrens in chenopod
shrubland at edge of Black Box woodland on main track through the former
reserve part.
David Parker

        Regent Parrot, Olive-backed Oriole, Diamond Firetail, Gilbert's
Whistler Kemendok National Park (formerly Mallee Cliffs State Forest)
Numerous Regent Parrots observed along the Murray River. A single
Olive-backed Oriole in bend opposite Nangiloc (Victorian side). Diamond
Firetail and Gilbert's Whilster in the south. Other birds include
White-browed Babbler, Rufous Whistler, Grey Shrike-thrush, Mallee
Ringneck, Grey Fantail and Whistling Kite.
David Parker

Tue 24 Aug      Ground Parrot Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
Saw a single Ground Parrot fly from close to the edge of the Illawarra
lookout track. Only managed a 5-8 second look as it flew low into the
heath away from the track.
Gary Gibbs

        Regent Parrot Euston Regional Park
A number of birds observed throughout this patch of River Red Gum
forest.
David Parker

        Ground Cuckoo-Shrike Sturt Highway, east of Hay (opposite
'Bertangles')
A pair observed in paddock on south side of road.
David Parker

Sun 1 Aug       Grey Goshawk, Pacific Baza Western Sydney Parklands
the pair of Grey Goshawks have been a regular feature and were seen at
the Quakers Hill section. Later, at Glendenning, a young Pacific Baza
flopped into the long grass and grabbed what looks like a small frog.
It's great to have two sites for these birds both within 10k's from
where I live.
mark fuller

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers