birding-aus

Re: Delay when sending to birding-aus

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Delay when sending to birding-aus
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:04:17 +1000
I would like to second what Merrilyn Serong said on this topic.

The moderators have a constant job and, although it probably is not as arduous a job as is the case on other forums I hover over at times it is still a job which demands a commitment to fairness, allowing reasonable freedom of speech and a true understanding of tolerance. It also requires a sacrifice of personal time. We should be thankful that there are people willing to commit to all those things.

I am prepared to accept that, in this case, I may have inspired this thread with my comment about the delay in transmission of my report on the Noosa Hooded Plover. In my defence I would like to say that I chose a poor form of words and was not trying to claim that there were deficiencies in the operation of the BirdingAus list. In fact, I had thought that my posting was possibly being 'moderated' and that would not be unreasonable considering the effects some of my past postings have had on this forum. I certainly accept the right of the list moderators to attempt to reduce 'friction' in this type of forum and I really think they do a good job. Of course, in general terms, the members of this forum are quite reasonable and any slight blips that occur now and then are only reflective of the general community. It would be a sad thing if we all thought the same way. It would also be a sad thing if we weren't tolerant of differences if those differences are within reason.

Having said all of that, I would also like to say that Carl Clifford is probably not too far from the truth with his concept of 'sprites' in the system. But having spent nearly 40 years in the telecommunications business,and having listened to many, many customers telling me about how their conversations were being intercepted, I am of the opinion that Carl's 'sprites' are actually 'spooks' (as in the ABC TV series of the same name) and I was a bit worried that the 'spooks' had worked out the secret, hidden code in my email and were holding onto it for training purposes.

Bill, I hope you make those other moderators feel guilty and that they give you
some time off for good conduct.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point