birding-aus

White-throated Nightjars at sea off Cape York, Queensland

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: White-throated Nightjars at sea off Cape York, Queensland
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:49:11 +1000
I have received a series of 6 photos of a White-throated Nightjar taken by Ben Bright seeking confirmation of the identification. Russell will place some on the Birding-Aus website. Ben was in a boat which followed the bird to obtain an ID and take photos. A nice species to see at any time, even better to photograph, but the circumstances of this event are extremely interesting for a number of reasons. It was in broad daylight (4.00 pm). It was at sea in the Gulf of Carpentaria west of Cape York ~4 km from the coast out from the mouth of the Skardon River. This is ~100 km north of Weipa and very roughly 150 km south of Cape York. Particularly interesting because normally more an east coast bird I would have thought. It was on 26 August, a date which seems very early for the species to be on southward passage returning from their winter sojourn in PNG. I was told that 'the bird' was first seen at 09.00 two days previously and then again some time next day! So they have to be different individuals and it would appear that they were on diurnal migration at sea level. Furthermore, I'm told that last year, a White-throated Nightjar was found perched on the rail of a customs vessel in the area. I can find nothing in the specific literature which tells me whether Nightjars normally migrate by day or night but I do recall one article giving an example of a rare seabird being claimed which in reality was a Nightjar! So I suspect they can be diurnal migrants flying at sea level. In my view, it is a White-throated Nightjar because it is a very dark bird without white patches in wing or tail. Other Australian species have broad white panels about mid-length of the outer primaries visible from above and below. The panel is formed by large white spots on p 7-10 lacking in White-throated apart from small pale spots in the same region as the large panel in the other species, notably on p8. In this bird, spots are visible on p8 & p9. The white throat is visible but is not diagnostic.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136