birding-aus

RFI malaria in Argentina

To: Mick Roderick <>
Subject: RFI malaria in Argentina
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:42:53 +1000
Greetings

In our last two years in PNG a new treatment came out for Malaria. You only take it if you get malaria. We have used it three times on three different people and the symptoms disappeared in 20 minutes in each case. The research on the internet shows there are instances however, where it does not work. One piece of research showed it worked for 80% of cases.

It is available over the counter at chemists in PNG. It is called dihydroartemisinin and is made from the plant Artemisia or sweet wormwood (just wormwood in the Bible). The trade name of the one we got was Cotecxin but in PNG just ask for the Chinese malarial medicine.

We never got malaria ourselves in 8 years in PNG - but that was largely because we never stood around outside in the twi-light periods. Most other staff at PAU got malaria - but they often stood around talking on their way home in the twilight period.

I do not know the availability of artemisinin in other countries but hope this knowledge will help in dealing with this ever-growing problem.

Cheers

Mike